Thursday, April 1, 2010

Second verse, same as the first


John Avlon has a great article on the Obama-as-Hitler and Bush-as-Hitler hysterics that have been so prevalent the last few years.

This may come as a shock to some but neither claim is appropriate.  And getting more pissy about one over the other, based solely on your political allegiance, is no better.  

Says John:
I condemn both Bush-as-Hitler and Obama-as-Hitler comparisons in my book and subsequent speeches. Liberals frequently object to my invocation of Bush Derangement Syndrome, just as conservatives bristle at my detailing of Obama Derangement Syndrome. Centrists are used to liberals calling them conservative and conservatives calling them liberal. This impulse is designed to discredit independents and reinforces the left/right divide.

But what's most striking to me is the way committed partisans miss the broader moral equivalency behind these two syndromes: If you only object to the president of your party being compared to Hitler, then you're part of the problem.  (my bold for emphasis)

No comments:

Post a Comment